“Positive ageing is an approach which recognises how negative mental states (beliefs, thoughts, ideas, attitudes) can have a detrimental impact on physical and emotional wellbeing as we age. It proposes three principal strategies to prevent negative outcomes:-
- developing a more balanced understanding of the reality of ageing.
- applying techniques drawn from humanistic psychology to gain a degree of control over negative mental states.
- building emotional wellbeing and resilience in order to be better able to negotiate the significant challenges in later life.”
Issues discussed by the group include, but are not limited to:
- Housing concerns and opportunities for seniors.
- Dementia friendly awareness, planning and training.
- Mental Health and Social Isolation.
- Elder Financial Abuse.
- LGBTIQ friendly practice in aged care.
- Clarity around current access methods to residential and health support.
- Transport and Accessibility.
- Planning for end-of-life care.
If you would like to become a member if PAAG, please contact Kez.