Time: 9.30am - 3.30pm
Date: Fridays, 23 July to 19 September (16 sessions)
Where: Castlemaine Community House
Instructor: Perri Campbell
This course is BOOKED OUT!
To register interest click the button above or call 5472 4842.
A great accompaniment to the Permaculture Design Course, this is a thorough and highly practical introduction to the world of natural building and beginner carpentry. Learn resourceful and ecologically-centered construction through fun building techniques and get some more tools under your belt for resilience and self-sufficiency.
Natural building encompasses new and traditional methods that utilise local, ethically sourced materials to create buildings that are beautiful, energy efficient and non-toxic. Working with clay, straw, sand and timber is a grounding, rewarding and inspiring process.
We will work on a number of projects across the two terms, both individual take-home as well as larger group projects for the community garden. Past projects have been many and varied from earth pizza ovens, garden nooks and shelter to timber planters, wicking beds, cold frames, chicken coops and beehives.
Natural building and Carpentry Techniques and Concepts Covered:
- Understand the principles of passive solar; thermal mass and insulation; breath-ability; seasonality; building appropriately for climate; embodied energy and ethical resourcing.
- Cob construction
- Bottle walling
- Light earth
- Foundations and drainage for small structures
- Natural finishing methods such as clay/lime renders, plasters and paints
- Using traditional hand tools and power tools
- Designing and planning your project
- Selecting timbers
- Introduction to joinery techniques
- Types of fastenings and their applications
- Safe workshop practice
- Pathways to further training in Carpentry and Natural Building
We will cover the basics of sustainable building practice in a fun and relaxed environment, and a special invitation goes out to those who may have encountered obstacles to conventional trade-based training.
Develop a confidence in building that you can apply to any backyard sustainability project or incorporate into permaculture design systems. Or take the first steps towards a career in eco-construction or landscaping.
Come and see what building’s all about!
Date: Fridays, 23 July to 19 November (16 sessions)
Time: 9.30am – 3.30pm
Cost: $700 (Full) / $550 (Early Bird Discount, available until 6 July) / $350 (concession)
Facilitator: Perri Campbell